Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fresh strawberry pie

My local grocery store had not so local strawberries on sale, .99 per package. I purchased two.

I immediately thought of fresh strawberry pie. The recipe....One baked pie shell. I used some pastry I had in the freezer which was not really enough for the bottom shell but this is an experiment after all so I didn't care too much about the look.

Fresh strawberries...

1 cup white sugar, 3 tablespoons of corn starch and 3/4 cup water.

Finely chop about 1/3 of the strawberries, add the sugar, corn starch and water and place in a pan. Turn the heat to med low and stirring constantly bring to a boil, continue boiling and stirring for a minute.

Let the syrup stand until it reaches room temperature. Then add the rest of the strawberries and place the whole thing in the baked pie shell. Refrigerate until set...about 2 hours. Slice and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Oh my this is a delicious pie.

3 comments:

Powell River Books said...

Must be some more of those California berries. They must be ending their season down there about now. With all the sales we can make pies and jam without much guilt. My berry are coming back already. I might have a good season this summer from the look of them. - Margy

Anonymous said...

This looks so good. I hope the strawberries that we just transplanted do well, so that I can make this!!

The Hobbit said...

Don't you just love a bargain?In my house there would have been a slice missing before the phote shoot.