Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dumpster diving....

Although I live in a relatively mild area of Canada, if I want to start veggies early I need a cold frame. I asked Art what the cost would be...about 100.00 he replied...yikes. Well Art, you have about 20.00, and this is what he has come up with.

The wood for this cold frame was salvaged from a demolition about a block from our diner and the plastic is a left over piece from my son's renovations. The lighter color wood was originally a raised bed Art made for me last year. Art found that wood washed up on Powell Lake.

In it I planted some mesclun, butter crunch lettuce and radishes.

Tuesdays Art takes all the garbage and the recycling to the dump and on this last dump run he found some old windows. Using an existing raised bed, Art will add some wood cut at a 45 degree, then attach the window with some hinges. He still has one more window to use. Wow, three cold frames, dollars spent? 0...

He found these pieces of plastic in the Walmart dumpster. They were used for a tent of some sort. My thought is to place row covers over them to protect some of my veggies from bugs. Not sure if it will work...the row covers might be too narrow. If that doesn't work then I'll likely make them higher and use them as temporary green houses for tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.

And finally here is my garlic. It's about 4 inches high. This is my first time growing garlic and I'm hopeful that it will grow well for me.

3 comments:

Powell River Books said...

That Art is the man. Wayne just sent me an e-mail (he's still in Oregon) that John is going to put a new barrel under my garden next week. He put one under last year, but it has a leaky cap that he tried to patch. It must have leaked again since it is a bit under water right now. If the beds can't drain they just mush up and the plants don't grow well. This year I was going to try to start some plants early, but I won't be up the lake enough to take care of them now. But I can't give up completely. Wayne got me some manure and I'll dig in in my next trip at the end of the month. Then when I return in March I can throw a few seeds in the ground and see what happens. - Margy

Scrappy quilter said...

What a creative guy. I wanna come move there...starting to garden already even if in a cold frame. We still have tons of snow although it has warmed up. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!!