Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tomatoes and stuff...

Our spring has so far been unseasonably wet and cold which for a gardener is not very good but with a few nice days in the forecast I can finally plant the tomatoes I started from seed.

I only found out a few weeks ago that digging oyster shells into the dirt will help with tomato blossom rot, which my tomatoes get.

Hard to see here but I did sprinkle some oyster shells in...


I watered them and then covered them with some plastic using some tent poles Art found in a dumpster..
Art wrapped some stakes on the long sides of the plastic and secured them with staples, this will keep the plastic in place keeping my tomatoes warm and dry. Luckily Art had the plastic on hand, recycled from something else so these makeshift greenhouses were free, and that's very good.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love free stuff? Good job!!

The Hobbit said...

Nice job. You and Art are getting to be quite the gardeners. I hope you're keeping a journal.

Dianne said...

I understand what you mean by the unseasonably cool, wet Spring! The seeds we planted in the greenhouse are coming up and being planted in the garden...but we could sure use some SUNSHINE here in Oregon!