Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Goodbye to chemicals - hello to green clean

I'm almost finished with my chemical laden cleaners and will start using greener and less expensive products made with vinegar, borax, washing soda and bicarb.





In the kitchen:

I make a thick paste with 1 tbsp of soda and a drop or two of water. This is a great scrubber to clean my stove top and sink. For an all around kitchen cleaner I mix 1/2 cup of washing soda, 1/2 cup of vinegar and 2 litres of hot water; I use this to wash cupboards, appliances, counter tops, walls, tiles and vinyl floors. For windows and glass surfaces I mix about 3 tbs of vinegar and 2 cups of water, store it in a spray bottle, spray and wipe with a lint free cloth or newspaper.


I use these same methods in the bathroom but add a little bleach(1 tsp) to the washing soda and water and pour it into the toilet and let it sit for about 20 minutes. I'm trying to find a greener way to wash the toilet but for now a little bleach will have to do.



Margaret

1 comment:

Scrappy quilter said...

I seldom use chemicals anymore. I love good old vinegar, baking soda and hot water. Great job!!