Friday, October 23, 2009

Home made lasagna - Part 4


All the components are done so it's time to put it all together.

Cook your pasta in a large pot of boiling well salted water, about 4 to 5 minutes. Fresh pasta cooks faster than dry and you want the pasta to be "al dente" because it will also bake. Drain the pasta but don't rinse it. Just place it in a large bowl and pour a little oil over it to keep it from sticking. Watch it..it's very hot.




Spoon sauce on the bottom of your lasagna pan.





Then layer your pasta over the sauce. Spoon sauce over the pasta, then the bachamel and then sprinkle with a generous amount of grated parmigiano. Keep layering pasta, sauce, bachamel and parmigiano.




Finish your lasagna with sauce, bachamel, and parmigiano. Now I told you that my mom never added any other type of cheese. And you don't have to, it will taste delicious without but...if you have some mozzarella cheese you can add it. There is no such thing as too much cheese. In my case I just happened to have some so I added as the final topping.
At this point you can bake it for about 45 minutes in a 350F oven. However you can also freeze it when it's completely cool. The left overs freeze very well to. Just cover or wrap the lasagna in tin foil and once defrosted bake it covered until hot and bubbly. Uncover for the last 10 to 15 minutes to brown the cheese.
Take it of the oven, cut the lasagna into squares and serve piping hot with a simple green salad and crusty bread.


Left over pasta?



Roll your cooked lasagna noodles and cut it in slices.

Hold back a little bit of the sauce, trust me, you won't miss it and toss in the cut up pasta.


And there you have it a nice lunch or snack.



4 comments:

Powell River Books said...

That's quite a culinary adventure. I love lasagna but hardly ever make it. But when I do, I like to add the mozzarella cheese. I like it's consistency and taste. I've never tried to make my own noodles, but my mother did for a while. She and my dad took lots of cooking classes after they retired. In fact, it was my dad who was the best cook in the family. We always called him First Cook. Those are fond memories for me. - Margy

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm coming over for lasagna!! Your's looks so yummie!!

David said...

This looks so good... but damned if I'm going to make something that takes 4 days!! ;-)

Betty said...

Your Lasagna looks sooooo good. I really enjoyed part 1-2-3-4.
My hubby is the Italian lasagna maker and eggplant parmesan.He uses hot Italian sausage in every thing.