Friday, October 16, 2009

My garden in Mid-October

I'm trying to grow some vegetable through winter. Not really sure what I'm doing but this is what I have so far.
Butter lettuce and radicchio.

What is this? Again a volunteer plant. Took root and I left it alone. Part of the cole family but what part?

Broccoli, Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts, with munched leaves. I'll buy some Rototone this weekend. I hate to use pesticides, even a "green" bug killer but I'm not going out at night with a flashlight. There's bears out theres...




Not sure why some of these guys want bend over, looks like the stem is a little thin? Anyone know whats going on?




Swiss chard that just won't die.



Celery that seeded itself from an existing plant that was left in the greenhouse by the previous owner. Not great for eating as a snack but great for soups, stews and sauces.




Arugula that never stops growing and spreading seeds. But lovely in a salad none the less.





And my moulting chickens taking refuge from the winds under the artichokes leaves.





2 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Wow I wish we could grow a winter garden.

Is that a radish?
Do those plants need more sunlight (the ones leaning) or is there a bug possibly eating the stem or root?

Have a wonderful weekend.

Powell River Books said...

You still have lots of veggies. Mine are all but done. I still have chard left on the floating garden along with my herbs. I am also leaving my carrots and beets in the ground for winter harvests. The rest I need to get pulled so the soil can rest a bit. I keep telling myself to get to work on it, but come up lazy when the task needs to be done. - Margy