Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Perfect French fries





I am lucky to have a very good Irish friend, actually a whole family, but today my post is about just one of the family, Deirdre, a beautiful Irish lass, with bright blue smiling eyes, and she adores potatoes. I mean adores potatoes. She has been known to have fries and a baked potato, at lunch, on the same plate.


She makes the best roast potatoes ever, well Deirdre tells me her moms are better, but I've only had Deirdre's and they are fantastic. But again, today's post is about French fries, and it was Deirdre who showed me how to make them perfect. And it is thanks to Deirdre that my diner, Magpie's, is quickly getting the "best fries" in town reputation.


Some of you may know the secret already but if you don't, the perfect French fry is double fried.


First take a handsome guy to cut the fries.





Soak the cut fries in cold water for at least 30 minutes.


Drain well and fry them at 325F for a few minutes, you don't want to change the color, you just want them to cook through.


Then when you are ready for them you increase the oil temperature to 375F and fry the potatoes until golden brown and crispy, toss with sea salt right away, and serve.



My sister always says that if she is going to eat something "bad" it better taste really good and be worth the calories.


So remember this .... a fresh cut double fried French fry has the same calories as a frozen for who knows how long, over processed, stored in a plastic bag french fry that has been fried just once, so which would you choose?

3 comments:

bear said...

i love your fries.they r the best

Anonymous said...

Those fries looks so good. Too bad it is late otherwise I would be making some.

The Hobbit said...

MMMMM fries the best. Hubby is watching the calories so after soaking in cold water and patting dry I rub lightly with oil sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese and bake on a sheet of parchment paper.I'm with you on the plastic bag frozen for who know how long. No way ......