Monday, March 7, 2011

Snowdrops


We seldom have big snow storms out on here on the West Coast. We get a dusting here and there and sometimes we will get a foot of snow, for a day, then slush and muss for several days as temperatures rise. So instead of snow we are blessed with snowdrops. These little beauties show up very early, sometimes even late January, cheering us up with their cute little white flowers promising us that spring is just around the corner.

I have never had any but that has now changed. Wendy Devlin, a fellow garden club member, passionate gardener and farmer, has snow drops all over her farm. She kindly invited garden club members out to her farm to dip up snow drops...several of us took her up on her offer.

Snowdrops do multiply but stay in clumps so they are very easy to manage. I took several clumps, divided them up and dug them into my garden, I think I might now have about 20 clumps.


Here are some pictures from Wendy's farm.


Three preagnant goats


One of two calves.

Snowdrops
More snowdrops
And another early bloomer but can't for the life of me remember it's name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen Snowdrops before. They are very pretty.