Monday, September 7, 2009

Sugo di pomodoro (tomato sauce)

I canned some tomatoes yesterday in litre jars because I used all my small jars. I processed enough tomatoes to can 3 large jars but had about 1/2 jar of tomatoes leftover. The freezer is full, I was hungry so, homemade whole wheat pasta, which I had in the freezer, with fresh tomato sauce, was on the lunch menu, so very delicious.

Sugo di pomodoro.

2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped fresh Roma tomatoes.
1 clove of garlic, chopped
olive oil
basil

Saute the garlic in the olive oil on low heat for a few minutes, do not walk away, the garlic will burn.

Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and simmer without the lid for about 10 minutes, you want some of the liquid to evaporate.

When your pasta is almost ready add some basil to the sauce, I just tear it with my fingers but for my lunch I added a frozen basil cube I made a week or so ago.

Put the sauce into your drained pasta and again saute over a low heat, you want the pasta to finish cooking in the pot so it picks up some of the sauce as it finishes cooking.

Top with fresh parmigiano and there you go, a low fat, delicious fast lunch, or dinner.

1 comment: