Thursday, January 8, 2009

Freecycle

















Powell River, BC does not offer free garbage pick up. Curb side garbage pick up is provided by the city of Powell River but each bag costs $2.00. Curb side recycling is available at no additional charge. This was quite a shock because the town I lived in prior to Powell River had almost limitless garbage pick up in the form of large bear proof metal garbage containers distributed throughout the community. I tried to recycle as much as I could but it was so easy to get rid of unwanted items, out of site out of mind I guess. I don't really know how much garbage my little household of two people, one dog and two cats produced, I seem to remember taking one bag of garbage out every day, yikes, every day...

My garbage now has meaning because, although I try to live an environmentally green life, garbage here affects my pocket book directly. If I want my garbage picked up I have to buy a ticket, and garbage sure accumulates, and fast.

I now recycle and compost everything I can. I have reduced my garbage to one bag every two weeks.

Pretty good but what about bigger items, things I don't need or want but are still usable?? Let me introduce you to Freecycle. Freecycle is a world wide organization trying to keep "good stuff out of landfills". I found out about it when my husband and I remodeled our home, it's really fabulous and urge you to join.

Margaret








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looove freecycle! At least, I love the idea of it. So far, in my neighborhood in rural southwestern Ontario, there is no freecycle program.

However, I'd love to start one :) Way to be green Margaret!

I have lots of other green tips on my blog, http://blog.green-book.ca

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried freecycle yet. The more I hear about it, the more I think I should. Just wanting to say how much I enjoy your blog. From one Canadian to another Canadian, hello.