Wednesday, January 14, 2009

They are gone

My son and his family flew back to Newfoundland yesterday and the house is so quiet. For three weeks my life revolved around the grand-kids' schedule and their limitless energy, I miss the chaotic normalcy that kids bring into a household.


So..that's it, the holidays are officially over. Just before Christmas the doctor told me I have high cholesterol and although I tried to be careful over the holidays I still over did it with foods that are a big NO NO..but no more excuses. I have an appointment with the dietitian next month but I'll not wait until then, I'm starting today to live a healthier life which will include a sensible diet with lots of veggies, fruit, legumes, fish, chicken and exercise.


Truly..I'm excited about legumes, fruits and veggies..well my arteries and my heart are happy, my brain, not so much.

Today's lunch.




I bought a bunch of dried beans at Bosa Foods when I was in Vancouver on the weekend and left the salami, Italian sausages and cheeses behind, didn't seem quite right.
I just have to tell myself beans are good for me, actually I'll call them legumes, sounds better than beans. So..today I'm soaking and then cooking the legumes. Don't know yet how I will use them but they are on the menu for tomorrow.

Margaret

5 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Margaret, WTG on living a healthy lifestyle. Dh and I have been working on that now for the past 6 months and feel so much better. Now if only our weather would warm up so that we can begin walking again. We were up to 2 miles a day.

~carol

Margaret said...

It's never extremely cold but more often than not it's really wet. I'll be heading out for my daily walk in about 1/2 hour when I'm done with work. I meant to ask you before, what are "Quilts for the North"?
Margaret

Scrappy quilter said...

DO NOT POST, DO NOT POST


You asked about my Quilts for the North. It's a project I started in 2005 to send quilt to Northern reserves in Manitoba. I make mostly baby quilts and single quilts and send them to young moms. I have a couple of contact people who I send them to and they distribute them for me.

~carol

Scrappy quilter said...

Whoops, the do not post shouldn't be there.

~carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret. Maggie from HG just popping by to read your interesting blog!